Thursday, March 31, 2011

Word of the Day: Blogorrhea

I've discovered that blogging is a whole universe unto itself.  I had no idea.  It has its own rules and guidelines, even its own vocabulary.  Here's a word I ran across:  blogorrhea.  As you may have guessed, it’s derived from "diarrhea."  Here are a few definitions I found:

Blogorrhea:

·       a large number of blog entries or an entire blog comprised of substandard quality or overly verbose content.

·       to write a blog entry just for the sake of posting an entry, not because you have done anything interesting today. 
I couldn't really think of anything good to blog about, so my last post was real blogorrhea.

·       A blog characterized by excessive commenting on irrelevant facts.
This guy's blog is full of useless crap.  It is like his brain just burst with projectile blogorrhea.

·       Writing a blog while highly intoxicated, and therefore, spilling your guts, all your secrets, and naming all the people you hate in the world.
Last night I had blogorrhea after I got home from the bar.  When I woke up in the morning, I realized it was too late, it had been read and could not be taken back.

(You can actually buy t-shirts, trucker hats, and coffee mugs emblazoned with that last definition.  It’s quite popular.)

I have the uncomfortable feeling that I may be guilty of all the above, except the part about being intoxicated.  I’m perfectly capable of spilling my guts without being intoxicated.  And I don’t hate anybody in particular, just general groups of people who deserve to be hated, like people who abuse kids and animals, blow up buildings, and so on. 

This whole blogorrhea thing has led to some serious introspection.  I ask myself:

Do my blogs contain useful content?  Not really.
Are they "overly verbose?"  Sometimes.
Do I post blogs even when I haven’t done anything interesting?  Definitely.  But then, that depends on your definition of “interesting.” 
Do I comment on irrelevant facts, “useless crap,” if you will?  Without a doubt.  Again, it depends on what you consider irrelevant.
Could this very blog post be considered blogorrhea?  I'm afraid so. 

In other words, do I have some wisdom to impart, a product to sell, or a platform from which to espouse a worthy cause?  No, no, and no.

Have I missed the boat, when I wasn’t even aware there was a boat? 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment