Monday, March 7, 2011

Shouldn't Breathing be Easy?

First, I have to correct a couple of errors in my last post. 
·        “Homy” should have been spelled “homey.”
·        “Was” should have been “were” in “acting and production was.”
This is embarrassing.  I used to teach English.  And I was a good speller.  In the eighth grade I represented Ector County at the regional UIL spelling bee.  I came in third there.  If I had won first or second place, I would have gone to the national spelling bee, the one they televise now.  I’m such a nerd. 
On to belly dance.  This afternoon I took a class online, then practiced some of the steps in “Jemileh” and “El Sekka.”  I don’t have an actual live class until Wednesday. 
We rehearsed some more “El Sekka” on Friday.  I tell you what, I don’t know if I have the stamina to get through it in a real performance.  I’m already out of breath halfway through the song.  One breathing problem I’ve noticed is that I hold my breath sometimes.  Maybe I’m concentrating too hard on the steps to breathe, although breathing is one of those bodily functions that shouldn’t require any thought.  So many of the movements in belly dance require you to expand and contract the stomach muscles and the diaphragm, and my brain hasn’t figured out how to coordinate that with the expanding and contracting you need to do to breathe.  So, come on, Brain, get with it!
I’m having trouble collecting my thoughts this late in the day.  Usually I try to write first thing in the morning, when I am at my best.  After lunch, it’s all downhill.  One good thing is that I finished the newsletter for this quarter.  Yippee!  But now I need to start writing the Standard Operating Procedures manual for the shelter.  I can’t believe I volunteered to do that.  What was I thinking?  But that was before I had my new self-imposed schedule and my blog, both of which take up a lot of time.  But that’s OK.  Schedules are good.   
I’m rambling.  This is it for today.
Question for next time:  What do Marie Taglioni and Kobe Bryant have in common?  Any guesses?  Anybody out there actually reading this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment