Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Belly Dance Goal

After I posted my last blog, I thought maybe I should have said something in the blog title about how belly dance miraculously healed my hip.  That’s more important than my history of ballet and cowboy dancing.  It’s certainly more unusual.  I read somewhere that a blog should have relevant, useful, and unusual content.  And the Miraculous Hip Healing is all of that.   
Of course, I didn’t sign up for belly dance classes to fix my hip.  But I'm very aware now that body parts can and do fall apart at any moment without notice.  That's enough motivation for me to keep after it.  I want to learn as much as I can as fast as I can while I still can.  I’ve been granted a reprieve on the hip problem, so I need to take advantage of it. 
Whew.  Words are not coming easily to me today.  Maybe because it’s Sunday and should be a day of rest.  So my mind is rebelling against work of any kind.  In fact, I just spent more than an hour doing one my favorite things:  lying in my hammock reading, listening to the waterfall splash into the pond, and just soaking in the warmth of the sun and the sights and sounds of this beautiful day.  My brain is still operating in hammock-time, I fear.  I think I’m going to have to make this post a short one, so I’ll get to the point.
I want to set a goal for myself in my belly dance endeavors, and I haven't quite figured out how to do that. I started classes last summer, and it will be a year in July 2011.  So my goal at the end of this first year will be to achieve.....what?  I do fervently hope to get through the end-of-the-year performance without embarrassing myself.  But is that goal-worthy?  I could say, "By the end of this year, I'm going to be good enough to take the advanced class." But that's way too ambitious, and most likely impossible.  But besides that, I can't think of anything truly measurable I can strive for.  So instead I'm going to set a practice goal and see how far that takes me by the end of my first year. 

So now it's official.  My Belly Dance Goal is to take four classes a week and to practice at home at least an hour a day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment