I love sweets. Here's something that satisfies my sweet tooth, plus it's delicious and easy.
Friday, June 24, 2011
How I Lost 15 Pounds and Keep It Off
People seem to be really interested in how I lost 15 pounds and have kept it off. Even my doctor. I just had my annual physical, and she wanted to know how I did it, although I think she was more concerned that I wasn't doing some drastic, off-the-wall diet.
This is what I do, 90-95% of the time. The other 5-10% of the time, I eat whatever I want, in moderation. It's been surprisingly easy to stick to, because I know I can eat what I want sometimes. Nothing is forbidden. Plus I feel great and look better.
· Eat plain oatmeal for breakfast, with ½ pat of real butter. I use those individual packets, regular flavor (if you want to call that a flavor), cooked with water.
· Eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day, several servings.
· Eat mostly fish and chicken; avoid red meat.
· Avoid processed foods. This includes most canned, bottled, and packaged items except those that contain one simple ingredient like rice or noodles.
· No fast food.
· No sodas, including diet ones. Drink mostly water.
· Eat 5 or 6 times a day to keep from getting ravenous between meals.
· Eat sweets and desserts only occasionally.
Cassie's Smoothie Recipe
A cup or so of frozen fruit (peaches, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango, etc.)
½ to 1 fresh banana
¼ -1/2 cup orange juice
1 8-oz yoghurt, regular, nonfat or low fat. I’m partial to the HEB brand peach-mango flavor.
Let the frozen fruit thaw on a plate for 5 or 10 minutes. Then put all the ingredients in a blender and blend. You may have to stop and mix it a few times, because of the frozen fruit. You don’t need to add ice. It comes out thick and creamy and frosty. If you need sweetener, add a bit of sugar or Splenda.
Enjoy! I have one of these almost every night, usually as dinner. Later I might need a snack to stave off hunger, depending on how late I have the smoothie.
A few months ago I wrote in more detail about my eating plan in two blogs posted in March. If you want to know more, they are entitled "On Jemileh and My So-Called Diet" and "FAQ's About My So-Called Diet."