Friday, July 8, 2011

On Becoming a Diva and the Abuse of Word "Literally"

On Wednesday, I danced again at Demo's Greek Restaurant.  This was my third time, and I was not nearly as nervous as the first or second time.  And--get this--I danced El Sekka with only one other belly dancer!  Five of us are scheduled to perform it at the recital, but only two of us were at Demo's on Wednesday.  It was just me and Victoria, a red-haired beauty, who also happens to be a much better dancer than I am.  But that's okay.  I stuck with my strategy of making up with enthusiasm what I lack in technical expertise.  I may be in danger of becoming a ham.  Or maybe a better word is "diva."  It's very much a diva type dance, which is the complete opposite of my usual personality.  All the more fun!

We did Jemileh, too, at least eight of us, which is a floorful.  It seems everybody has danced Jemileh at one time or another, it being the easiest number in the repertoire.  So people jump in and dance along.  As you can tell, these Wednesday nights at Demo's are pretty informal.
Give Belly Dance a Chance performance flyer with Miss K

The finale number is always an upbeat song called Lulu.  It isn't difficult, but, dang, it's fast.  Most dancers already know it.  Miss K is offering four Lulu classes for us novices.  We practice at two different speeds. First, the music is slowed down, then we do it at tempo.  Yikes.  My brain doesn't coordinate with my body at that speed.  Each night of the recital, Lulu will be the last dance, and everybody is in it.  The stage will be crammed with dancers, and the veterans will literally be dancing in the aisles.

And when I say "literally," I mean just that. “Literally” has become over-used and abused in recent years.  At least one blog is devoted to the mistreatment of that one word.  There’s even a blog called something like “The British Society for the Preservation of the Apostrophe.”  Don't you just love that title?  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  I mean, just look around.  The English language is being routinely and horribly mangled.  Don't get me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment