Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Song by Wael Kfoury

Time for another song, this one by my very favorite Middle Eastern singer, Wael Kfouri, who is Lebanese.  We were in Las Vegas last fall for a convention related to my hubby's business, and I saw all these posters and billboards for someone named Wael Kfouri.  I was surprised that an Arabic singer would play Vegas.  I'd never heard of him before.  After that, I learned that Miss K had been playing his songs in belly dance class all along.       

I had a hard time choosing which Kfoury song to post - there are so many good ones, and his voice is beautiful.  He sings in a more traditional style than many popular singers, even though he's young.  

This one is called "Tabki Eltoyoor."  It's about "love and hurt."  Haven't we all been there?   (Maybe more than once?)  Take a listen:

http://youtu.be/dlexmPqAzUI

I found the translation.  Keep in mind Arabic doesn't translate easily to English.

The birds cry, flowers wither, sun sets and only darkness prevails
The words are lost, it’s a pity she was able to forget and her eyes to sleep
A dream dies, and all I find is the wind
And misery is born and wounds are all that’s left.
Maybe tomorrow she'll be back , but I disbelieve my hopes
The love died
I collect my wounds, my preoccupations and my sorrows
Stay up for nights while she sleeps

All the time we spent together were easy for her to forget
The honesty is gone, where is the trust
How many times with these hands did I heal my beloved
Who forgot all that we had
My sorrows are big, as big as mountains
The wounds are deep, as deep as the seas
My mistake was being naive and always forgiving
I collect my wounds, my preoccupations and my sorrows
Stay up for nights while she sleeps


Sigh.  Lovely, isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment